Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The essay

Reflecting on ideas for the essay I am fascinated by the idea of remakes. Why do movies get remade? If the story remains consistent, what changes exist between the fashion of both films? What effect does the change in fashion have upon the consumption of products and fashion?

I began considering the translation of films between national cinemas and the representation of national fashion and consuption that this reflects.

Nathalie, a 2003 French film into the 2009 US film Chloe.


























The Danish film Brodre directly translated as Brothers and remade for a US audience in 2010.

























I then moved on to the remaking of films within hollywood over time. The Thomas Crown Affair interested me because it had such an obvious link with the consuming of fashion and a fashionable lifestyle. The story focuses on a wealthy playboy and his extravagant lifestyle. Although I have not seen either of these films the trailer clearly display an idealised lifestyle for the wealthy. I thought it could be interesting to contrast the american dream within each of these films.






















I did consider Sabrina as fashion is used to great effect within the film to clearly demonstrate character transformation. It also raises questions about the use of couturiers within the film industry. However I just could not bring myself to watch the remade version, it was painful enough to watch the trailer!


The last remake I have looked at is Lolita. It was first made into a film in 1962 by Stanley Kubrick. The film was then remade in 1997 by Adrian Lyne. I am strangely attracted to the idea of Lolita. I found when I read the book I was both deeply engaged and slightly repulsed by the story. It seems to me to be a very odd choice to make into a movie, let alone twice!


No comments:

Post a Comment